Wednesday, July 4, 2007

O Yes You Can

Theme: If God tells you to do it, you can do it.

Scripture: But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD. Jeremiah 1:7-8 (NIV)

"I just can’t do it!" Have you ever said that? Of course you have, we have all said that at one time or another. Maybe you said it when the soccer coach asked you to take the penalty shot that would win the game, or when your piano teacher asked you to play a difficult piece on a recital. Maybe it was when the teacher called on you to give a book report in front of the whole class.

Jacob was a good student. Oh, he wasn't the smartest kid in class, but he worked hard and made pretty good grades. His worst subject was arithmetic. Addition and subtraction didn't give him any trouble, but when it came to long division, he just didn't get it. One day as he sat struggling with his assignment, he finally threw down his pencil and cried out in frustration, "I just can't do it!" His teacher, Mrs. Davis, smiled at Jacob and said, "Can't never could do anything. Here, let me help you." Mrs. Davis went over to Jacob's desk and showed him step by step what he had to do to solve the problem. With his teacher's help, suddenly long division didn't seem so hard after all.

Our Bible lesson today is about a man named Jeremiah. One day, God spoke to Jeremiah and said, "Before you were even born, I chose you to be my prophet to all the nations." Jeremiah answered, "I can't! I'm not a good speaker, and besides, I'm too young." "Don't say 'I can't'" the LORD answered Jeremiah. "If I tell you to go and speak to someone, then go! And when I tell you what to say, don't leave out a word!" Then the LORD reached out his hand, and touched Jeremiah's mouth and said, "I am giving you the words to say, and I am sending you with authority to speak to the nations for me."

There will be times in your life when God will come to you, as he did to Jeremiah, and ask you to do something special for him. He may call you to be a preacher, a missionary, or a Sunday School teacher. Whatever it is that God calls you to do in this life, remember what he said to Jeremiah, "Don't say, 'I can't!'" If God calls you to do something, he will reach out his hand and touch your life to give you the ability to do it.

Source : sermons4kids

Activity For The Day - WORD SHAPES